Date of Publication


Document Type

Bachelor's Thesis

Degree Name

Bachelor of Science in Premed Physics

Subject Categories



College of Science




Outstanding Thesis Award

Thesis Advisor

Enrique M. Manzano

Defense Panel Chair

Maria Carla F. Manzano

Defense Panel Member

Norberto T. Alcantara
Gwen Castillon


At present, diabetes remains to be a prevalent disease as cases are still on the rise with no signs of decline. Studies have shown that the global prevalence of diabetes is projected to increase from 463 million (9.3%) in 2019 to 578 million (10.4%) in 2030 and will eventually climb to 700 million (10.9%) [1]. As of the moment, there has been no developed cure for the said disease. Instead, proper monitoring is needed in order to regulate and treat one’s unstable blood glucose level. Another factor to be considered in diabetes is dehydration since this could also lead to a series of complications. The most common way to monitor one’s blood is by pricking the finger and inputting drops of blood into a glucometer. Thus, in this study, an alternative option was explored which was the use of a noninvasive glucose monitoring device. The study made use of two infrared LEDs bought from a local electronics store which served as both the transmitter and receiver for the setup. The research was able to produce a consistent voltage reading for the monitoring of both blood glucose concentration and skin hydration level. The average percent difference between the invasive and noninvasive methods was calculated to be 3.39%. It was also concluded that the noninvasive device created is within the ISO 15197:2013 standard. Furthermore, 90% of the data gathered from the noninvasive method was classified as a “none” risk level and the remaining 10% as a “slightly lower” risk level for the surveillance grid analysis. The average percent difference between the commercial skin moisture detector and the noninvasive device was determined to be 5.33%. Lastly, the study was able to conclude that there is a very strong negative relationship between blood glucose concentration and skin moisture level.

Abstract Format






Physical Description

94 leaves


Blood glucose monitoring

Upload Full Text


Embargo Period